Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate instead and wanted to wait a while before I re-ventured into the salted caramel game! Needless to say, this ice cream has been on my “Recipe Ideas Board” for quite some time and I am extremely excited to finally be posting this. Trust me when I tell you that this ice cream recipe will be one of your all time favs and is guaranteed to impress anyone you make it for! And as always… Live to Eat! and Yaaayyy Ice Cream!
Decadent Sea Salt and Caramel Ice Cream
Salted Caramel Ice Cream Recipe: this ice cream is incredibly rich and super tasty, there is a reason why it is so popular!
Author: Cooking Divine
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 1 quart
- 3 Cups Heavy Cream (divided)
- 1½ Cups Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoons Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Set aside 1 cup of heavy cream in a metal bowl over a bed of ice water and lay a fine mesh strainer over top.
- In a medium sauce pan melt ½ cup a sugar and lemon juice. Continue to add ½ a cup of sugar at a time waiting for each batch of sugar to completely melt until adding the next half cup. Do this until all 1½ cups of sugar are added.
- Continue to cook sugar gradually until it turns to a brown hue this is the caramelization. The darker you cook the sugar the more rich the ice cream will become so I leave this up to you to experiment.
- Take the caramelized sugar of the heat and stir in the butter and sugar until melted.
- Return to burner and slowly whisk 2 cups of cream. The caramel may seize at this time but that is okay, keep heating until it remelts.
- Once melted and warm, add a ladle at a time of the cream caramel mix to the egg yolks while whisking furiously to avoid cooking the eggs.
- Once half the mixture has been whisked into the eggs, pour the egg cream mixture back into the saucepan and cook on medium low while slowly stirring until the base thickens and can coat the back of a spoon (SEE IMAGE BELOW). This is your custard base.
- Take the custard base and pour through the mesh strainer into the cup of cream on the ice bath.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Put mixture in fridge and cool for 2 hours - overnight.
- Freeze mixture in ice cream make according to manufactures instructions.
- Freeze overnight.
Turn your exhaust fan on, caramelizing sugar will cause smokiness and this is completely natural so do not think that you are burning anything.