Salted caramel hot chocolate – whoohoo! Caramel and salt are a match made in heaven. This recipe uses a combination of half & half and milk which gives the hot chocolate a perfect consistency. And it is incredibly easy to make, not to mention super-quick!
The recipe starts with making your caramel base. Caramel is simply melted sugar with a touch of butter. Once heated you’ll notice that it takes on that caramel color rather quickly.
Keep in mind that when you add the half & half / milk to the caramel it will seize up and become hard. This is because the cold milk reacts with the heated sugar to harden the caramel – just keep on heating the mixture and eventually it will melt back to a liquid base.
This is a perfect recipe for those cold winter nights!
Eat to Live!
- ⅛ Teaspoon Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1½ Cups Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Cups Half & Half
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Add the lemon juice to a medium sauce pan
- Add the sugar ½ cup at a time and cook over medium high heat stirring with a spatula
- Dissolve all of sugar in pan before adding each ½ cup
- Continue to heat the sugar until it turns a golden brown (3-5 minutes)
- Add the butter and combine until completely melted
- Switch to a whisk and slowly add the milk, half & half and salt
- Continue to whisk until the mixture completely dissolves into liquid form
- Add the cocoa powder and heat until the cocoa is completely dissolved into the caramel/dairy base.
- Serve immediately
- Also can refrigerate and reheat at a later time, good for 3-5 days.