Bacon Wrapped Medjool Dates Stuffed with Marcona Almonds and Blue Cheese Recipe: I made these dates last night on a recommendation from a fellow foodie friend and as I write this post I am currently munching on them straight from the refrigerator. While I prefer these bad boys straight from the oven, much like pizza, these are highly edible as a cold leftover!
A couple of things you will want to take particular care of when making this recipe. First, don’t overwhelm these with bacon. I use 1 strip of bacon for every three dates. You want a nice balanced flavor and wrapping an entire bacon strip around one date is way too much! Second, use marcona almonds, they are harder to find but the taste and texture are well worth the final result. Trader Joes usually has this type of almond. You can even use the truffled marcona almonds to add a unique twist to these stuffed dates.
Toasting the almonds will bring out there flavor and help to add a more layers to this already complex appetizer. Drizzling honey over top is highly recommended and will put these blue cheese stuffed medjool dates into overdrive.
Live to Eat!
- 24 Medjool Dates
- 12 Teaspoon Blue Cheese
- 48 Marcona Almonds
- 8 Strips of Bacon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay the almonds on an un-greased baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes or until they are fragrant.
- Remove almonds from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the dates in half lengthwise and remove the pits.
- Fill each date with ½ t blue cheese and 2 almonds. Fold dates back together (they will seal themselves).
- Wrap each date with ⅓ strip of bacon and secure with toothpick.
- Bake on greased baking sheet for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
Great appetizer for the holidays, the bacon paired great with the figs!!!
These are delicious! I added a little maple sryup on the top of them at he end and put them back in the oven.