Spicy Homemade Habanero Pickles Recipe: Once you try homemade pickles I guarantee that you will be hooked for life. The fact that these are so incredibly easy and quick to make only adds to the fact that I hope never to buy a pickle again.
And feel free to experiment with your own pickle ingredients. Just keep the liquid base the same, but the spices you add are completely up to you. Want a little more spice? How about throwing some Italian Long Hots into the mix? That’s the beauty with this recipe – you really can’t mess it up!
It is important to also choose the right cucumber for your pickles. You MUST use pickling cucumbers – they are called Kerby Cucumbers and they are typically small with bumpy ridges lining the outer skin. These cucumbers will undoubtedly give you the very best result.
I found that leaving the pickled cucumber recipe into the refrigerator for a night is enough to get a nice flavor, however, I prefer two nights which will give the flavors enough time to absorb into the pickles.
So the next time you have a BBQ to attend, jar your own pickles and bring them to the party! It’s a guaranteed hit.
As always… Live to Eat!
- 6 Kirby Cucumbers (halved, quartered or cut into ⅛" slices)
- ½ Cup White Wine Vinegar
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 5 Fresh Dill Sprigs
- 2 Habanero Chili Peppers (sliced)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (sliced)
- ½ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Halve, quarter or slice the Kirby cucumbers depending upon the type of pickles you want.
- Place cucumbers into a mason or pickling jar.
- Combine the water, salt, sugar and vinegar in a bowl and mix until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Pour water mixture into the pickling jar.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and seal jar.
- Place in refrigerator overnight or up to 1 week.