Muffin Tin Chicken Pot Pie with Savory Duck Fat Crust
Muffin Tin Chicken Pot Pies with Savory Duck Fat Crust Recipe from Cooking Divine.
Author: Cooking Divine
Serves: 6 servings
- SAVORY DUCK FAT PIE CRUST:
- 1½ Cups Pastry Flour
- 1½ Cups Bleached Flour
- 8 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (cold)
- ½ Cup Duck Fat or Goose Fat (chilled)
- Teaspoon Salt
- 1½ Tablespoons Fresh Thyme (chopped finely)
- ¼ - ½ Cup Ice Water
- CHICKEN POT PIE FILLING
- 1 Pound Boneless Chicken Breast
- ¾ Cup Carrots (chopped)
- ¾ Cup Celery (chopped)
- ⅔ Cup Onion (chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- ⅓ Cup Bleached Flour
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme (chopped)
- 1½ Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas
- Mix both flours, salt, and thyme in a bowl.
- Cube the cold butter and add to bowl. Crush together with tips of your finger and mix into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add the cold duck fat and mix together with rest of ingredients.
- Slowly add the water and mix with fork. The idea is just to have enough water so that the dough holds together. It will be flaky, you do not want the dough to be smooth. So try and add as little water as possible.
- Next, take the dough and place on a cold surface or pastry stone. Working with your hands, gently flatten the dough and fold it over on itself 3 times. Assemble into a large disc, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 mins, take the dough and flour a cold surface or pastry stone. Roll the dough out until it is about ⅛ inch thick. Cut the dough into 6 equal parts and place inside muffin tin holes. The dough will be hanging over the sides of the pan, this is okay as you will be folding it over the filling.
- Cover the dough and place in fridge until assembly.
- Cube the chicken and bowl with celery and carrots for 12 minutes - set aside.
- Add butter, garlic and onions to a saute pan and cook until the onions are translucent (about 3 minutes). Add the salt, pepper, parsley and thyme.
- Whisk in the cream and chicken broth.
- Cook on medium low for about 10 minutes until the filling is thick.
- Set aside for assembly.
- ASSEMBLY AND COOKING
- In each muffin tin hole lined with dough - layer the chicken/celery/carrots, then pour over the cream based filling and top with peas.
- Fold the access pie crust over each pot pie. Leave some space for vents on each.
- Cook at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes.