At family gatherings the very first thing to go is always the pigs in a blanket! I can recall many a debate over who gets the last hot dog on the plate. Now with this homemade recipe made with buttermilk biscuit and cheddar cheese, there very well be a full on fight over that last delectable treat.
The first thing you want to do is roll the dough out into a rectangle about a 1/4 of an inch thick. Next, use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into even rectangles that are the width of the hot dog and 3x as long. Follow that by cutting each rectangle into 2 triangles.
Follow the diagram above to roll each hot dog and cheese block (1/4 inch thick and the length of the dog) so that the cheese is facing up.
After you roll each hot dog, butter a cookie sheet and spread them out evenly. Melt some butter and coat the top of each. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-14 minutes so that they are golden brown.
*BONUS: Make some spicy ketchup to dunk your pigs in a blanket into in order to add a little kick to the appetizer.
Live to Eat!
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tablespoon of Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 8 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter (Separated)
- ¾ Cup of Buttermilk
- 18 Cocktail Size Hot Dogs
- 1 Block of Cheddar Cheese (Mild)
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium sized bowl.
- Cut 6 tablespoons of cold butter into small ¼ inch cubes and add to the dry ingredients.
- Work the butter into the dry ingredients by crushing it with your hands until it has the appearance of cornmeal.
- Slowly add the buttermilk and mix with a fork. Once all of the buttermilk has been introduced to the dough mix - lay the ball of dough down on a floured table.
- With the palms of your hands flatten and spread the dough, then fold it in half. Repeat this process 2 more times.
- Wrap the folded dough in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and quickly roll to ¼ inch thick.
- Use a pizza cutter to form a rectangle approximately 7"x15" in size.
- Cut the rectangle lengthwise three times of equal length and do the same from top to bottom. This will leave you with 9 equal size rectangles.
- Cut the rectangles each into 2 triangles by cutting from top left to bottom right giving you 18 triangles.
- Roll each cocktail frank and cheddar block together so the the tip of the triangle faces down and the cheddar cheese faces up.
- Butter a cookie sheet and lay your pigs in a blanket out evenly.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and spread across the dough with a pastry brush.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown.