3.0 from 2 reviews
Homemade Bourbon Eggnog Ice Cream
Homemade Bourbon Eggnog Ice Cream Recipe: made with egg yolks, fresh nutmeg, bourbon and heavy cream - wonderful for the holidays!
Author: Cooking Divine
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 6 servings
- 8 Egg Yolks
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream (divided)
- Pinch of Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Bourbon
- ½ Teaspoon Fresh Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a bowl over ice set aside 1 cup of heavy cream and a fine mesh strainer over top.
- In a medium saucepan combine 1 cup milk, 1 cup heavy cream, sugar and the salt.
- Set aside a bowl of 8 egg yolks beaten.
- Heat saucepan on medium high until ingredients melt together and mixture just starts to boil.
- Slowly add a bit of the warmed mixture into the egg yolks while whisking very fast to avoid the eggs from cooking.
- Once about half the heated milk is added to the egg yolks, pour the egg yolk mixture into the sauce pan and turn heat down to medium low.
- Cook while heating the mixture until it is thick enough to cover the back of a spoon and leave a trace when you run your finger through it (SEE IMAGE BELOW).
- Pour mixture through strainer into the waiting bath of cold heavy cream.
- Mix together and add the bourbon, nutmeg and vanilla extract.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and then place mixture in refrigerator for 2 hours to overnight.
- Churn mixture in ice cream maker to manufacturer's instructions.
- Freeze overnight.
- Optional: add fresh nutmeg to top before serving for garnish.