5.0 from 1 reviews
Cilantro and Lime Ice Cream
Cilantro and Lime Ice Cream Recipe.
Author: Cooking Divine
Recipe type: Ice Cream
Serves: 1 Quart
- 2 Cups Cream
- 1 Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Inverted Sugar (or sub ¼ cup extra sugar in place)
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 3 Tablespoons Lime Juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 Tablespoons Zest of Lime
- 1 Cup Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- Place 1 cup of cream in a metal bowl and place over ice
- Place into a medium saucepan the rest of the cream, the milk, the sugar, the inverted sugar, the lime juice, the lime zest and the salt. Cook on medium heat until everything melts together.
- Add the fresh cilantro and cook the mixture until it just begins to boil. Immediately take off heat and cover for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour strain the cilantro mixture through a fine strainer making sure the press on the cilantro to extract all of the flavor (save cilantro).
- Take the strained mixture - add to blender along with ½ of the cilantro from the strainer and blend together.
- Return mixture to saucepan and reheat on medium low.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks. Slowly add the heated mint mixture **IMPORTANT: while you are adding the mixture make sure you are furiously whisking the mixture to prevent the eggs from cooking!
- Once half the warmed mint mixture is mixed with the egg yolks, pour the cilantro and egg yolk mixture into the saucepan and continue to heat on medium low heat.
- Continue to heat the mixture until it thickens enough to cover the back of a spoon and leave a tracer of your finger (SEE IMAGE BELOW).
- Once you get the proper thickness, strain the mixture again, this time into the cream you have set aside in the ice bath to stop the cooking process. You may see some small curdles of cooked egg, but that is okay as long as you strain the mixture.
- Stir the mixture and wait for it to reach at least room temperature so that it is safe to put in the fridge. At that point cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate anywhere from 2 hours - Overnight.
- Freeze the custard in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Freeze overnight.