Cheese Stuffed Meatballs Wrapped in Bacon and Pastry Dough Recipe: So, I was craving a meatball parm sandwich one fine afternoon when I decided that it would be really nice if I someone would put some bacon on top because meat ball parm sandwich just isn’t unhealthy enough. Henceforth I took matters into my own hands and created this ridiculous recipe that I must admit tastes pretty freaking good!
I actually had to make these twice, the reason being is that the bacon does not cook well inside of the pastry dough. In hindsight that should have been very obvious to me, however, I was cooking 4 full recipes on the day I made these so my brain was running around in about 40 different directions. So after failing miserably on the first try, I made some key corrections on the second time around. Basically, after wrapping the cheese stuffed meatballs (uncooked) in bacon, I had to give them a brief run on the frying pan to crisp up the bacon so that it would be crunchy inside of the pastry shell. The added step takes an additional amount of time due to the fact that you need to let the bacon wrapped meatballs cool a little before wrapping them in the dough and placing them into the oven.
Crisping the bacon before wrapping in pastry dough also makes it a lot easier to cut the meatballs open after you are done cooking them. Make sure to drench these in marinara sauce as they are a little dry on their own and need a nice red sauce bath to enjoy.
Definitely a recipe I would recommend for a gray and rainy day… It pairs very well with Netflix!
Live to Eat!
- 1 Pound of Ground Veal/Beef/Pork (or sub ground beef)
- 6 Oz Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- 12 Bacon Strips
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- ¼ Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 3 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Worcester Sauce
- ¼ Cup Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 2 Puff Pastry Dough Sheets
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- In a bowl, gently fold together the meat, eggs, milk, bread crumbs, garlic, Worcester sauce, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Make 6 large meatballs, stuff each with an oz of fresh mozzarella cheese.
- Wrap each meatball with 2 strips of bacon.
- Fry each meatball until the bacon is crisp and let cool for 5 mins.
- Defrost and roll out the pastry dough until it is 1/16 inch thick.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 3 equal parts each.
- Wrap the meatballs in the pastry dough and pinch closed (no air vents needed).
- Brush each pastry meatball with melted butter.
- Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and cook for 25 mins.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.