Anyone who knows me knows how much I love to make ice cream! It is my absolute favorite thing to do and this homemade cannoli ice cream recipe made with fresh ricotta cheese is one of my top “go-to” flavors. I make this ice cream with cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg to directly mimic the flavor of the cannoli dessert. If you can get your hands on some cannoli shells I would recommend putting a bowl of this ice cream in the center of a large plate surrounded by shell pieces to make a crazy dessert dip! Live to Eat!
Cannoli Ice Cream made with Fresh Ricotta Cheese
Cannoli flavored ice cream made with fresh ricotta cheese.
Author: Cooking Divine
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 1 quart
- 15 Oz Fresh Ricotta Cheese
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Inverted Sugar (or sub extra ¼ cup sugar)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- ⅛ Teaspoon Fresh Nutmeg
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¾ Cup Chocolate Chips
- Set aside 1 cup heavy cream in a bowl over an ice bath.
- In a medium saucepan heat the ricotta, salt, milk, sugar and inverted sugar until everything is melted together.
- Pour the heated mixture through a fine strainer into the cold bowl of cream over the ice bath.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to overnight.
- Pour cold mixture into your ice cream maker and freeze to manufacturers instructions.
- Add chocolate chips to churning ice cream 5 minutes before it finishes.