Slow Cook Apple Butter Chicken Sliders Recipe: The inspiration for this recipe came to me one day when I was making an apple pie. Part of the process I utilize for making apple pie is that when I season the apple slices I like to let them sit and drain. This draws out the juice from the apples so that the pie doesn’t get soggy when cooked. While your draining the apples, some of the cinnamon and nutmeg also gets drained along with the juices. I collect these juices and then cook them down with butter which creates a nice caramel like sauce that I pour over the pie before I add the top layer of crust.
Long story short… this apple butter caramel sauce is absolutely amazing! My thought was that if I could infuse that into some chicken then I would be able to make a damn tasty dish. I happen to be using it to make Chicken Sliders but don’t be afraid to slow cook your chicken for just about anything including quesadillas, casseroles, or just to throw over some rice.
Once you start slow cooking these your kitchen will smell like fall! I love the apple spiced flavor and it brings out the very best in chicken.
The key to these sliders is the fresh Granny Smith apple slices that top the sandwiches. The fresh crunch takes this recipe from a 7 to a 10. Not only does the flavor improve, but the texture improves as well. The crunch is a satisfying addition to this very savory dish.
Live to Eat!
- 2 Yellow Onions (quartered)
- 2 lb Chicken Breast
- 8 oz Butter
- 2 Cups Apple Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon Fresh Nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 2 Cups Gruyere Cheese (shredded)
- Place the onions into a crock pot and top with whole chicken breast.
- Pour over apple juice and add the butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. (Don't worry about mixing these together, once the crock pot heats up they will all melt together and fuse into the chicken).
- Cook on low for 7 hours. Then remove the chicken from the crock pot, shred it and return to the crock pot for 1 more hour.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place 12 slider bun bottoms on a baking sheet and top with some shredded chicken and onions. Then place an equal amount of cheese on each and bake in the oven for 3-5 mins until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Thinly slice 12 pieces of the granny smith apple.
- Top each slider with an apple piece and the top slider bun.
- Serve immediately.