The slow cooker strikes again! This time I made some good old southern pulled pork sliders topped with fresh, homemade cilantro coleslaw. This recipe is absolutely amazing and does not require a lot of ingredients. The prep is really quick as well, just drop it in the slow cooker in the morning and you are all set.
I found that when making this recipe, the pork did not start turning extremely tender until about the 8th hour in the slow cooker. At first I was freaking out, but my patience was rewarded. After the slow cooker did it’s work, the pork shredded with just a slight touch of the fork!
The deal clincher of this recipe is the cilantro slaw. It is amazingly refreshing and pairs perfectly with the BBQ pork. The added jalapenos provide a nice kick bringing everything together magically.
And as always, Live to Eat!
- PULLED PORK:
- 1 Onion
- 32 Oz Root Beer (2 bottles)
- 3 Tablespoons Molasses
- 3-4 Pound Pork Shoulder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 18 oz BBQ Sauce (1 bottle)
- 12 Slider Buns
- CILANTRO COLESLAW:
- ¼ Cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- ½ Tablespoon Lime Juice (freshly squeezed)
- ½ Teaspoon Lime Zest
- 1 Jalapeno (minced)
- ¼ Cup Cilantro (chopped)
- 4 Cups Green Cabbage (cut into thin strips)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Slice onion thinly and layer on bottom of slow cooker
- Mix teaspoon salt, teaspoon pepper and molasses together
- Rub pork shoulder with seasoned molasses
- Place pork shoulder in slow cooker and add root beer
- Set slow cooker to low for 8 hours
- In a medium bowl combine the ingredients for the cilantro slaw and mix together well, cover and place in refrigerator for later.
- After 8 hours of slow cooking pork, take pork out of cooker then shred with fork and remove any bones.
- Empty the onions and juice from slow cooker.
- Return pork to slow cooker and pour in BBQ sauce
- Set slow cooker to warm and begin assembly of sliders.
- Put a small amount of pork on each slider and top with cilantro coleslaw - serve immediately.