I figured I would keep the Cinco De Mayo feeling rolling by sticking the the Mexican theme with this amazing Mexican Frittata Recipe! This traditionally Italian breakfast gets a major southern make-over with the infusion of eggs, cilantro, cheese, avocados, peppers, onions and yes – fresh tortilla chips crushed and sprinkled on top!
The tortilla chips provide for a great crunch on top of the Mexican Frittata. As I was cooking this bad boy in the oven, my entire living rooms was being assaulted by the aroma of the ingredients baking. Being that I made this at about 11am with no prior meal, you can imagine how eager I was to bite into this. Photographing the Mexican Frittata became a lot more difficult as my mouth watered in anticipation.
I will say that I really enjoyed making this recipe. The best part about making a frittata is that you have complete control over the ingredients you place inside them. This is not an exact science recipe. You can pretty much put whatever you want into the skillet provided you don’t over cook the eggs during the process.
Next time I make this recipe, I am going to add Chorizo to it to put a little meat into the dish.
As always… Live to Eat!
- 5 Eggs
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro (chopped)
- ½ Red Onion (sliced thinly)
- 1 Bell Pepper (sliced thinly)
- 1 Jalapeno (sliced)
- 1 Avocado (sliced)
- ½ Cup Shredded Mexican 4 Cheese (divided)
- ½ Cup Crushed Tortilla Chips (I used Tostitos with hint of lime)
- Salsa for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and mix in ¼ cup cheese, cilantro and olive oil then set aside.
- In a 10 inch, *OVEN SAFE, skillet, melt the butter then add the sliced onions and peppers.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper onto peppers and onions cooking.
- Cook onions and peppers until soft and cooked down (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add the egg mixture and spread evenly.
- Carefully lay the jalapenos across the top of the mixture as if you are covering pizza with pepperoni.
- Cook the mixture until the eggs start to solidify around the edges (about 1 minute).
- Take the eggs off of heat, coat with remaining cheese and then layer of the crushed tortilla chips.
- Place skillet in oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cover with sliced avocado and allow to cool.
- Slide frittata out from skillet onto cutting board and cut like a pizza.
- Serve with salsa.