Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Sweet Potato Chips Recipe: Homemade potato chips are soooo much better than store bought. The reason for this is that they have both a crispy and a chewy texture. That is something you just cannot get when you buy them from the supermarket. The outside crunch gives way to a chewy beautiful finish. I especially love these sweet potato chips because of the cinnamon and sugar coating which makes them salty and sweet (my favorite combination).
These homemade potato chips are incredibly simple to make. The only step that takes time is soaking them in the salt water and then letting the sweet potato slices dry. It is imperative to fully dry the slices before frying, otherwise your chips will have no crunchy texture whatsoever.
I like to add the sugar and cinnamon as soon as I am done frying the sweet potato chips. This allows the sugar to adhere to the chips better and enhance the flavor. These chips are definitely unique and will have your taste buds going crazy!
Live to Eat!
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes
- Salt (for water)
- ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- Peanut Oil (for frying, sub veg if allergies)
- Peel and thinly slice yams. Rinse and add to a pot of water mixed with salt.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Remove slices and place in colander to drain. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat a pot of oil to 375 degrees.
- Fry the chips in small batches for 2-4 minutes, each batch, until crispy.
- Place sugar and cinnamon in bowl, add the chips as you complete frying each batch.
- Coat generously and serve.