French Toast Croque Monsieur Sandwich Recipe: I am constantly dreaming up different ideas for crazy recipes to try and make. Unfortunately, most of them end up sucking big time and go straight to my garbage pail. However, ever now and again, one of my crazy ideas comes to fruition and ends up turning out fantastic! This unique twist on the classic Croque Monsieur sandwich falls into that category.
For those of you who are not familiar with a Croque Monsieur sandwich, it is a classic French sandwich made with ham and cheese. The sandwich is typically made a brioche type bread that is lightly sugared and baked. The sandwich is then compiled (often with Gruyere cheese) and then baked in the oven.
My take is a little different. I like the bread to a thick cut white bread that I batter with a seasoned egg mixture and fry to make it a fully French Toasted crust. I also like to whip up a quick Beèchamel sauce to pour over the ham and melted Gruyere. All together this makes the classic sandwich a bit more decadent to say the least. I especially love this dish on a Sunday early afternoon. It is a perfect recipe to make for your next Brunch party.
There is definitely a reason why the French make the best food! This sandwich is the real deal and will blow you away! I guarantee it.
Live to Eat!
- For the Sandwich:
- 2 Slices of Thick White Bread
- 1 Thick Slice of Ham Steak
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Pinch Fresh Nutmeg
- ¼ Cup Gruyere Cheese (shredded)
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- For the Bechamel Sauce:
- 1 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- ¾ Cup Whole Milk
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Pinch of Fresh Nutmeg
- In a small pot melt the butter on medium temperature for the bechamel sauce.
- Add the flour and mix together until a light brown thick gravy forms.
- Slowly wisk in the milk, add the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Lower heat to low and set aside.
- In a separate bowl wisk an egg and add a pinch of nutmeg and the cinnamon.
- In a medium fry pan melt half the butter.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture and fry 1 side of each piece until golden brown and set aside.
- Heat the ham steak.
- Now assemble each sandwich with the cooked side of the bread facing in. Layer the ham steak, the bechamel sauce and the shredded cheese.
- Now add the rest of the butter to the fry pan and cook the sandwiches like you would a grilled cheese making sure each side gets golden brown.
- Top with powdered sugar and maple syrup - serve immediately.