Chocolate Hazelnut Martinis – Hooray! This recipe calls for an infusion of chocolate and hazelnut into half and half, coupled with vodka to make the ultimate martini! The recipe is very easy to make but is a little time consuming. However, the good news is that you can refrigerate the mixture for a couple of days so you can make this in advance and simply add the vodka when it comes time to party!
I like to toast the hazelnuts before infusing them into the half and half / chocolate mixture. This brings out the flavor of the nuts and ensures a powerful flavor in your chocolate hazelnut martini.
Infusing the chocolate and hazelnut into the half and half is incredibly easy but takes some time. Simply heat the sugar, chocolate, half and half and toasted hazelnuts in a saucepan until the sugar and chocolate are completely melted. Cover and set aside for 1 hour. Then strain the mixture to get rid of the hazelnuts and you have your infused cocktail mixture – simple as pie!
Save some hazelnuts and get a small bar of chocolate so that you can melt the chocolate and coat the rim of your glass with chopped hazelnuts and chocolate. This looks really cool! And for extra credit, dribble some chocolate sauce on top the drink itself.
Live to Eat!
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- 1½ Cup Vodka
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 4 Oz Whole Hazelnuts
- Extra Chocolate and Hazelnuts for Decoration (Optional)
- Toast the hazelnuts whole on a baking sheet at 275 degrees for 15-20 minutes (they are done when they become fragrant)
- Let the hazelnuts cool and then finely chop
- In a medium saucepan add the half & half, sugar, cocoa powder and chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Heat the mixture until all the chocolate and sugar are melted
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour
- Strain the chocolate hazelnut mixture to remove the chopped nuts
- Refrigerate until serving time (can keep up to 2 days)
- The chocolate/hazelnut/half & half mixture will reduce down to 1½ cups during the infusion process so you will have equal parts vodka and chocolate base.
- To make martinis simply add 1 part vodka, 1 part chocolate base into a mixer or a glass filled with ice and pour into martini glass.
- Add chopped nuts and melted chocolate to rim of glass for decoration.
- Garnish with cherries in place of olives.