The problem with nachos is that you only get the good stuff on a couple of chips. And then you always have the knucklehead who grabs that one chip that takes with it a huge clump of cheese ultimately transforming the rest of the plate into a bowl of plain chips. Not to mention the majority of the chips end up soggy and devoid of crunch.
That is why when I make nachos, I put all the good stuff on every single chip! Here is the process in which to get the very best nachos!
I like to start by using fresh mini-tortillas and cutting them into individual size chips. When cooking the nachos these chips will have a crunchy exterior and a chewy center providing for a wonderful texture. You’ll notice that I don’t use tomatoes when making nachos — I recommend dicing up some fresh pico di gallo to scoop on the nachos after they are done cooking.
Once you are done assembling the nachos they are ready for the oven! 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
Keep some extra chopped cilantro to sprinkle on after cooking to give the dish a nice presentation.
And don’t forget the spicy jalapeno guacamole (recipe here)!
Live to Eat!!
- 3 Small Soft Tortillas
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil (Divided)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Medium Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Bell Pepper (Chopped)
- 1 Jalapeno (Chopped)
- 36½ Inch Cubes of Steak (Approximately 4 Oz)
- 2 Oz Shredded Cheese (Mexican 4 Cheese)
- 3 Tablespoons of Cilantro (Chopped)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut tortillas into 4 equal sections making 12 nacho chips.
- Cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Coat each side of chips with 2 T olive oil.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper onto each chip.
- Saute onions and peppers in 2 T olive oil until soft (5 mins)
- Add jalapeno to onions and peppers and cook for additional 2 mins
- Remove onions, peppers and jalapenos from heat and place on folded paper towels to dry.
- Top each chip with onions, peppers and jalapenos.
- Add 3 cubes of steak to each chip.
- Cover all nacho chips with cheese.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro over each nacho chip.
- Bake nachos in oven at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.