What I love most about this Spicy Bahamian Chicken Recipe (other than the wave of Caribbean flavors washing over me as I cooked it), would definitely be how easy it is to make. This one pot recipe takes about 5 minutes to prepare and then its off to the oven. You don’t have to make this spicy, I just have a preference for spice, especially when it comes to chicken.
The smell of the Bahamian Chicken while it cooks will definitely take over your kitchen and if you are like me, will instantly have you day dreaming of sitting on a white sandy beach drinking an ice cold pina colada!
Did I mention this recipe is healthy? I can speak from experience (I lost over 60 pounds recently), that that no-carb diet is complete hogwash! I like to add carbs to my meals, especially if you are working out. Not only does it help keep you full during the day, but the carbs are needed to provide you with energy. Nothing is worse than being tired and hungry at the same time – that’s when you will have the biggest inclination to cheat!
And look how pretty this Bahamian Chicken Recipe looks? Do you feel like you are on vacation? (Probably Not – but hey, one can dream!)
As Always – Live to Eat!
- 1 Tablespoon Oil for Greasing Pot
- 2 Tablespoons Cumin Seeds
- 1½ Pounds Boneless Chicken Breast
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper to Season Chicken
- 2 Red Potatoes (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 Bell Pepper (seeds removed and cut into medium-thick slices)
- 1 Yellow Summer Squash (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- ½ Cup Orange Juice
- 4 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Oregano (chopped)
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon Allspice
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (less or omit to control heat)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Grease an oven safe pot with the oil
- Sprinkle cumin seeds along bottom of pot
- Layer chicken on bottom of pot over the seeds and season with salt and pepper
- Layer the potatoes, bell pepper and summer squash on top of chicken
- In a small bowl, mix the OJ, vinegar, garlic, oregano, paprika, all spice and red pepper flakes.
- Pout the OJ mixture over the ingredients in the pot, evenly distributing.
- Cover pot and bake for 45 minutes.