My first introduction into gourmet ketchup was from a store bought brand and man did it make me a believer! Since that moment I have wanted to make a ketchup from scratch… only I wanted to add some extra kick to it. That is why I started to experiment with different ways to make homemade gourmet spicy ketchup from scratch.
The recipe is super easy to make but does require a lot of ingredients. I happen like a lot of spice, but if you find yourself wanting to tone down the ketchup you can simply lower the amount of red pepper or simply eliminate it.
Saute the onions first until translucent (about 5 minutes) then add the garlic and saute another 2 minutes. Next you simply add the rest of the ingredients >> bring to a boil >> lower the temp to medium and cook down about 45-60 minutes until nice and thick resembling the consistency of ketchup.
Puree this beauty in your food processor then bottle and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks – “easy peasy”.
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 1 Clove of Garlic Chopped
- 28 oz Can of Tomato Puree
- 1 Tablespoon of Tomato Paste
- ½ Cup of Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon of Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Mustard
- ⅛ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- ¼ Teaspoon Allspice
- 2 Tablespoons of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- Saute onions for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 additional minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and quickly bring to a boil
- Drop heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes until thick and the consistency of ketchup.
- Puree in food processor until smooth.
- Bottle and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.