Blackberry and Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich: This sandwich goes great with a nice glass of red wine. The earthy flavor of the brie cheese is an incredible match with just about any fruit and most especially black berry.
This would also be a great recipe to make as small fingerling sandwiches. Simply use plain white bread and remove the crusts. Then when you are done grilling the sandwich cut it into fours to and pierce them with a toothpick. Now you have yourself a great blackberry brie grilled cheese appetizer!
I personally think that any food that goes good with red wine is a winner! You don’t often think of wine to be paired with grilled cheese, but in this case they go hand and hand. You could even add some sliced apples to the mix to provide for a crunchy and additionally sweet texture and flavor.
The beauty of grilled cheese is it’s versatility. There are so may different ways to make the sandwich that I am remiss as to why this is my first post on the subject. I can assure you there will be many more to follow!
As always.. Live to Eat!
- 2 Cups Fresh Blackberries
- ¼ Cup Water
- 5 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 10 Oz Brie Cheese
- 8 Slices of Good Bread
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- In a medium sauce pan combine the blackberries, water, sugar and lemon juice.
- Crush the berries while cooking on medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes until it cooks down to a jam.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble 4 sandwiches with equal parts brie cheese.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and mix in the salt and pepper.
- Brush each side of the sandwiches with the melted butter.
- On a skillet, cook each sandwich for 2-3 minutes until golden brown, then flip over and cook the other side. Keep covered while cooking to help the cheese melt better.
- Serve immediately.